Friday 26 March 2010

Unusual Tri-ang No. 61 Dolls House

When I first saw this Tri-ang No. 61 dolls house, I was immediately drawn to the very pretty pale blue windows which were unusual for this kind of model. With the dark brown metal frames to the windows I just assumed that it was prewar...however, the more I looked at it, realised that some aspects just didn't seem quite the norm. There is the pale blue bench for instance, which normally is seen on the earlier 1930's Tri-angs.
Then of course there is that wallpaper, which is normally seen on later 1930s, early 1940s models plus the label...even though half torn off, can still make out that it is the one that was commonly seen from late 1930's to about 1956. However No 61's constructed during the late 1930's would normally have a window box under the downstairs window plus curved timbering, so I was curious as to why these were missing.
Anyway, after consulting Marion Osborne, she too felt that this was manufactured either at the beginning of the war (Tri-ang continued to manufacture up until 1941 then had to cease) or maybe after the war in 1947, when Tri-ang started manufacturing again. Either way, this house has been constructed using old leftover components from the 1930's decade...obviously because when this was made, materials were drastically in short supply. So this makes this rather special.

Personally, I think this is one of the prettiest No.61's I have seen, as the pale blue windows look extremely attractive against the dark frames. This house has now been put up for sale on KT Miniatures website.

For full details, CLICK HERE.

3 comments:

My Realitty said...

How interesting! I wouldhave just assumed it had been tampered with! Amazing when you put it in the context of the time.I love the1930's 40's in dollhouses. Thanks CM

dora said...

Muchisimas gracias por las explicaciones que nos dá. Es una forma muy agradable de aprender cosas del mundo de las casas de muñecas.
Esta casita, es muy bonita, y yo tampoco habia visto ninguna con las ventanas azules.

Jo Raines said...

It is quite pretty. I can see it landscaped with lots of cottage flowers around it!

Jody